Subject: Re: Location of packages
To: Daniel R. Killoran,Ph.D. <drk@shore.net>
From: Michael G. Schabert <mikeride@prez.org>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 08/06/1999 14:52:10
>There seems to be some confusion about where the packages should be.
>
>The Packages.txt document says they live in /usr/pkg, which does not
>(initially) exist. A "find", however, shows them in /usr/src/usr.sbin/
>
>Moreover, Packages.txt claims the packages set should live under
>/usr/pkgsrc/, but a straightforward install puts it under /
>No problem to move it, of course, but what's the story?
>
>Also, is LOCALBASE supposed to exist initially?

You're confused as far as what "packages" you're referring to...yes, I know
you know that you're talking about the pkgsrc kinda packages, but you're
referring to separate entities as far as the /usr/pkg and /usr/pkgsrc.
/usr/pkgsrc is where the package TREE goes...i.e. if you wanted to see what
packages are available, you look there. Or if you want to install a package
by source, you go to /usr/pkgsrc/category/package_name and type "make
install". /usr/pkg, however, is where the binaries and acompanying files go
when you INSTALL a particular package (unless it's an X11 package, in which
case it still goes into the "regular" /usr/X11R6/bin).

As for the /usr/src/usr.sbin, I dunno what you were doing a find on. If you
have package-related stuff in there, you've got something messed up (or
intentionally set up nonconformist). The only pkg-related thing in there is
pkg_install/, & that's because the targets to it belong in /usr/sbin (the
various pkg_stuff, like pkg_add).

/usr/pkg should be created the first time you make/install a package.

Hope this helps,
Mike
Bikers don't *DO* taglines.