Subject: Re: Ahhhh!!!
To: Allen Briggs <briggs@ninthwonder.com>
From: Nathan Raymond <nate@portents.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 08/06/1999 00:03:01
At 10:02 PM -0400 8/5/99, Allen Briggs wrote:

> > Endian big-endian magic 11954   time    Sun Jul 25 18:24:45 1999
> > cylgrp  dynamic inodes  4.2/4.3BSD      fslevel 1
>
>I'd bet that fslevel 1 filesystems are not particularly well-tested with
>the -current code since newfs under -current will create fslevel 3
>filesystems.
>
>To determine if this is it, I'd unmount /pub, run fsck -f on /pub to
>ensure that it's OK, remount it to ensure that it's still reporting
>bogus values.  If all of that behaves as expected, I'd unmount /pub,
>bite the bullet and try
>	fsck -T ffs:"-c 2" /pub
>Assuming that works, remount the filesystem and see if it's still
>behaving oddly.

Did all that, still reports the same bogus info.

> > >Can you do a little more digging and file a PR?  Let's get
> > >these bugs fixed...
> > Sure.  Anything else I need to do?  How do I file a PR?
>
>If your system is configured so you can send internet mail from it, just
>run send-pr and fill out the form.  I'd probably choose category 'kern'
>for this one.  If you try converting the filesystem, definitely mention
>that (and the results) in the PR.

Ah.  Haven't got around to configuring sendmail yet (I'm on a dialup
connection, so it hasn't been a priority).  I'll see if I can get to
that this week.

While we're on the topic of bugs, does everyone else observe the
following bug in passing options to init:

4 speedbump: /home/nate> kill -s HUP 8752
s: Unknown signal; kill -l lists signals.

A 'kill -HUP' works fine, but 'kill -s HUP' doesn't.  As far as I can
tell, this is true for all signals.  The man page for init lists -s
as valid:

kill [-s signal_name] pid ...

It might be especially confusing for new users reading man pages like
those on init, and finding that 'kill -s' doesn't work, and then
having to read up on kill to find the alternatives.  Wonder why its
not working.

--
nathan raymond
webmaster <a href="http://www.everythingmac.com">everythingmac.com</a>