Subject: RE: What do they all do?
To: 'Daniel R. Killoran,Ph.D.' <drk@shore.net>
From: Neumann, Matthew C <Matthew.Neumann@Wichita.BOEING.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 08/05/1999 07:26:27
Try "UNIX in a Nutshell" published by O'Reilly.  I don't own it, but I've
flipped through it in bookstores; it looks like it lists most UNIX commands
and gives a few details about how to use them.  A good "flipping through"
book is "UNIX Power Tools," also from O'Reilly; that goes into more detail,
but tries to relate unix tools to everyday tasks.

Otherwise, the best source of information I've found is the man pages
(that's a bit like using a dictionary to look up a word that you don't know
how to spell, though; if you don't at least know where to start, you're out
of luck...).

Oh, and I'm sure that by "habitual terseness" you mean "admirable economy,"
right?   :o)

-Matt

	<snip!>
> To be specific, is there anything like a table-of-contents to, say, the
> packages that we have for netbsd? Unfortunately, the habitual terseness of
> Unix people makes the program names uninformative, and I notice that most
> of them seem to lack a statement of purpose in the README.
>
> Is anything like a "Users' Guide" available?

	<snip!>