Subject: Re: quadra610 ipnat router?
To: robin hood <robin5153@yahoo.com>
From: Michael G. Schabert <mikeride@prez.org>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 08/03/1999 10:31:50
>--- Greg Evans <raisplin@rcn.com> wrote:
>I was reading in a TCP/IP book that if you only use one network
>interface that the network
>speeds are signifigantly reduced.

Theoretically, this is true...this is because everything is sent across the
network twice. First it comes down the pipeline, & is ethernetted to the
NAT machine. Then the NAT machine ethernets it over to the machine that
it's destined for.

I started by saying theoretically, because for typical cable modems of
ADSL, you won't be maxing out the Ethernet network. So it's kinda like
saying that a Porche can commute through rush-hour traffic faster than a
Yugo...theoretically it's true, but in actual life, both would get there at
the same time. (remember...Ethernet networks transmit at 10 Mbps...a T-1
transmits at 1.54 Mbps...about 1/6 the speed.

> And also that internal network
>traffic is also put out on the internet.

Only if you tell the NAT machine to re-broadcast traffic with outside
network addresses. The ADSL "modem" or cable "modem" will handily ignore
traffic that's not addressed to them, or to addresses that they're set up
to send to.

>What kind of speeds do you get with that set up?
>
>How much is a nubus ethernet card for a quadra?

You'll have to look around for that...as I doubt any have been made in the
last 3 years or so, retail cost is meaningless...

HTH
Mike
Bikers don't *DO* taglines.