Subject: RE: newbie and pkg_add
To: Steve Revilak <revilak@umbsky.cc.umb.edu>
From: Frederick Bruckman <fb@enteract.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 08/02/1999 00:35:33
On Sun, 1 Aug 1999, Steve Revilak wrote:

> Those are "package dependencies" -- packages that mosaic (and others)
> needs to have available in order to run.  Install the four packages you
> listed and mosiac shouldn't give you a problem.

Even easier, try setting PKG_PATH. Something like

  PKG_PATH=/usr/pkgsrc/packages/All:/mnt/packages/All pkg_add mosaic-2.7b5

depending on where you have mounted the cd, and where the pacakges
are, should pull everything in automatically. (Note: ".tgz" suffix not
required.)

> but the real key is to set up an .Xdefaults file in your home directory.
>

> the resource setting corresponding to the above would be
>
> XTerm.geometry:		80x24
> XTerm.scrollBars:	true
>

> (place these in ~/.Xdefaults)

Doesn't the file in question default to ~./Xdefaults-`hostname` in
NetBSD? I prefer to set XENVIRONMENT so I don't have to chase it down.
So in ~/.xsession, I have

  XENVIRONMENT=~/.Xresources; export XENVIRONMENT

and then the resource settings go in ~/.Xresources, naturally.

> Resource names are case sensitive.  The man pages for "X" list standard
> resources, and the man page for a given client program will tell what
> resources it understands.

You can always grok the correct name for any particular app from the
name of the default resources file in
/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/app-defaults/. You can get more ideas for what to
set in there. Some files are even commented.

Regards