Subject: Re: newbie: ppp problem
To: Frederick Bruckman <fb@enteract.com>
From: Alex Zepeda <garbanzo@hooked.net>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 08/01/1999 18:13:52
On Sun, 1 Aug 1999, Frederick Bruckman wrote:

> Also, the man page says "noauth" is the default as long as there is a
> secrets file at all, but that makes no sense to me. Why take chances?
> Option "noauth" is so your local machine never requires a password
> from the remote. This is secure, as long as you're doing the dialing.
> Moreover, there's no way an isp is going to supply any password for
> your machine whatsoever. Therefore, he should have:

Or better yet, grab ppp (formerly iij-ppp) and compile it and set it up
something like (/etc/ppp/ppp.conf):

default:
        set device /dev/tty00
        set speed 57600
        set dial "ABORT BUSY ABORT NO\\s\CARRIER TIMEOUT 5 \"\" AT OK-AT-OK ATE1Q0 OK \\dATM0DT\\T TIMEOUT 40 CONNECT"
	add default HISADDR
        set authname yourlogin
        set authkey yourpass
	# Rotate thru the various possible numbers
	set phone 5551212:5551213:5551414
	# So you can control ppp once it's forked into the background
        set server 1000 someotherpassword

And then just type ppp -background.

- alex

You wear guilt,