Subject: Re: newbie: ppp problem
To: Frederick Bruckman <fb@enteract.com>
From: Bill Studenmund <wrstuden@nas.nasa.gov>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 07/31/1999 20:37:41
On Sat, 31 Jul 1999, Frederick Bruckman wrote:

> On 31 Jul 1999, Michael Kummeth wrote:
>
> Instead of ATF0, try AT&FE0&C1&D0 or AT&F1E0&C1&D0, and also change
> 'crtscts' to 'cdtrcts'. (The command line overrides the options file.)
> With a typical mac hardware handshaking cable, the signals are tied in
> such a way that asserting rts will cause the modem to hang up! &D0
> prevents this.

Note that the &D0 is only needed if you're using cdtrcts (which probably
is good at 57600). Also, your modem cable has to be wired up so that HSKo
on the mac (dtr under NetBSD) goes to RTS in addition to DTR. Otherwise
you're throwing away your ability to hang up the modem vi ahardware for no
gain. :-)

> Another interesting possibility is that your username is so long, that
> pppd decides you must have left the port in 7-bit mode by mistake.
> To see more precisely what's happening, throw a "debug" into the
> options, and then add a line to /etc/syslog.conf:
>
>   "daemon.debug /var/log/messages"
>
> or choose some other file to save the debug messages to.

Very good advice.

> > pap-secrets:
> > 0002119694863200685494000001 * passwd
> >
> > the ISP says, PAP is necessary.
> > bad networking conf?

That's got to be one of the goffiest secrets lines I've seen. :-)

pap secrets are set up as "client_name server_name secret" where client is
who's connecting to us, server is our name used in communication, and
secret's the needed secret.

So the line you've got above requires that other-machine named
0002119694863200685494000001 has to supply you with pass word passwd. I
doubt that's how your ISP expects things to work. :-)