Subject: Re: fstat: no such file or directory
To: Frederick Bruckman <fb@enteract.com>
From: Daniel R. Killoran,Ph.D. <drk@shore.net>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 07/30/1999 14:58:13
>On Fri, 30 Jul 1999, Daniel R. Killoran,Ph.D. wrote:
>
>> cpout succeeded.
>
>> Boot stopped at:
>>
>> fpu0 at mainbus 0 (mc68882)
>> boot device: sd1
>> root on sd1a dumps on sd1b
>> ...and hangs
>
>I wonder if you can break into the debugger at this point?
>(Command-Power on Quadras, the Interrupt switch on older Macs)
>Is so, from the "db>" prompt, try "ps", "t", "c".

Ok, I tried exactly what you suggested (above). I got

Panic switch: PC is at 0x37c2
Stopped at      _Debugger+0x6:	unlk  a6
db> ps
PID       PPID       PGRP       UID   S   FLAGS   COMMAND   WAIT
0          -1          0         0    3 0X20204    swapper   scsipi_
db> t

a whole lot of stuff, ending with:

kernel program counter = 0x13022a
kernel: MMU fault trap
caught exception in ddb
_main() + 39c
_main() + 39c
db>

(at this point it froze & I couldn't type "c")

>> I finally found a reference to the fstat message in INFO - it says the msg
>> is harmless. Which unfortunately leaves me clueless...
>
>It's harmless as long as you also see the files you installed. You do,
>right?

Yes, as far as I can see, everything is there, and I never removed anything.
Apparently it never shows the name of the file it can't find, because the
ones before & after the message are both there.

>You also get "Root on sd1a" as the installer starts up?

No. Should I? The Installer works fine - I have installed all the sets with
no trouble.

Thanks,
Dan Killoran

Got a device you would like to have run on the Mac? Call:
                 Daniel-the-Driver-Maker
      Fast service - accurate work - responsive support

         (Offer void wherever taxed or prohibited!)