Subject: Re: fstat: no such file or directory
To: None <fb@enteract.com>
From: Ken Nakata <kenn@synap.ne.jp>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 07/30/1999 11:13:12
On Thu, 29 Jul 1999 21:01:26 -0500 (CDT), Frederick Bruckman <fb@enteract.com> wrote:
> On Thu, 29 Jul 1999, Daniel R. Killoran,Ph.D. wrote:
> > In the minishell of the installer, what causes the message:
> >
> > fstat: no such file or directory
> >
> > when you ls the root directory?
> >
> > (1.4 on a vx)
>
> Hmmm. Was this file-system made with "newfs"? "newfs" makes level 3
> file-systems by default; the installer only works with level 2.

My experience with (accidentally) mounting level 3 ffs with Installer
is much more destructive.  It usually ends up with a nearly completely
corrupted filesystem, so I think that's not the case here.

Instead, I think this is a benign (or bogus, if you will) error
message only because Installer is not smart enough to distinguish
non-existing directory entries from removed directory entries.

Hope it helps,

Ken