Subject: Re: Macintosh Display Card
To: None <e.cartwright@de.qiagen.com>
From: Paul Goyette <paul@whooppee.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 07/28/1999 05:05:24
Well, I've had the SLOTMAN kernel working with at least one version of
the "Macintosh Display Card" but that doesn't mean too much!  It should
work, but there've been a couple cases where different versions of a
card have functioned differently.  From the sound of things, the kernel
was unable to switch the card to single-bit mode.

Two questions:  1) does the display look normal during the initial boot
sequence, and then (about half-way through) changes to this funky mode?
And 2) does the screen display the card's "Splash Screen" during the
boot (right before the 20x magnification syndrome)?

Also, if you're willing to part with your card for a while, I'll be
happy to do what I can to fix SLOTMAN (it's my kernel).  But as I am on
an extended business trip, it will be at least a month before I can
spend any time on it.

On Wed, 28 Jul 1999 e.cartwright@de.qiagen.com wrote:

> Dear all,
>
> My IIci has a Nubus video card that NetBSD reports as being a "Macintosh
> Display Card". My various attempts with video_lkm_combined.o or the 1.4
> SLOTMAN kernel have failed to get colour working on either the internal
> video or the card. The lkm, in combination with NetBSD 1.3.2, gives me funky
> purple & yellow X-Windows -- the colour mapping is completely kaput. The
> SLOTMAN kernel gives me a completely broken display -- when booting, for
> example, the scrolling startup text is displayed at about 20x magnification.
> Admittedly, it's a 1.4 kernel + the 1.3.2 base sets, but I know the vanilla
> 1.4 kernel will work with 1.3.2 base (apart from the ps problem).
>
> Is my display card supported? Any other ideas as to what's going wrong? And
> by the way, is it possible to do colour on the internal video? There seem to
> be conflicting claims as to whether you can or not in the documentation.
>
> Thanks for any help,
>
> /ewen

| Paul Goyette      | PGP DSS Key fingerprint:   | E-mail addresses:     |
| Network Engineer  |   BCD7 5301 9513 58A6 0DBC |  paul@whooppee.com    |
| and kernel hacker |   91EB ADB1 A280 3B79 9221 |  pgoyette@juniper.net |