Subject: Re: _KERNEL cpp symbol in kernel source
To: Ken Nakata <kenn@synap.ne.jp>
From: Alex Zepeda <garbanzo@hooked.net>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 07/27/1999 22:08:44
On Wed, 28 Jul 1999, Ken Nakata wrote:

> > If you don't mind GPL'd code
>
> The thing is, we do ;-)

Sure, but as a stopgap measure..

> > All that's really needed would be a kernel with a compiled in MFS volume
> > that has hfsutils (or the HFS mounter of your choice).  The rest could be
> > done in straight up ANSI C.
>
> That could be a solution, but it's inherently MD (i.e. mac68k specific
> - since no other port, perhaps except macppc, needs that).  I kinda
> hate that.

'Course the kernel is going to be MD :^)

But, as to the installer, this is not necesarily true.  Take for instance
sysinstall (from FreeBSD).  Sure the code is rather ugly, but if done
correctly, an installer running under NetBSD wouldn't have to know much
about the hardware it's running.

Assuming you're installing off of a local disk, some appropiate knobs to
allow mount_* to work would be abstract enough, similar traits could be
applied to a network (ppp, nfs) install.

The two most arch dependant parts I can think of are a.) the binaries
themselves (and this could be Makefile/script generated), and b.) The X
servers.

Sure, there are all sorts of mac specific kernel knobs, but most of these
don't need to be addressed directly by the installer.  This leaves the
MacOS booter tho..

- alex who is not too sure if any of this makes sense right now

You better believe that marijuana can cause castration.  Just suppose your
girlfriend gets the munchies!