Subject: Re: QuadraLink serial port card
To: Bill Studenmund <wrstuden@nas.nasa.gov>
From: Hauke Fath <hauke@Espresso.Rhein-Neckar.DE>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 07/26/1999 20:27:38
At 19:24 Uhr +0200 26.07.1999, Bill Studenmund wrote:
>On Sun, 25 Jul 1999, ulrich hausmann wrote:
>
>> bill,
>>
>> would you be interested in my Creative Solutions Hurdler 4 ser ports
>> card? i'd be willed to loan out it if it is useful for developmental
>> tasks. if so, let me know and don't forget your shipping address.
>
>Yes & no. Unfortunatly I really don't have the time to work on it, and I'd
>rather not get your card only to have it gather dust. :-)
>
>Also, the Hurdler was the one with the 68k, wasn't it? I've actually got
>one of the two-port versions of it gathering dust. :-)
>
>Hauke Fath is actually poking around at writing a driver. :-)

I've been in contact with someone from "Creative Solutions". For whatever
reason they are unwilling to give out interface specs for the message
protocol that their MacOS driver uses to communicate with the card's 68008
cpu. The guy said they had A/UX driver sources around (he actually said
"AIX") but could not read them from the disk.

Together with the (usenet) information that the designer of the cards
parted to open up his own shop all this lets me suspect they are pretty
clueless and don't want to show. I.e. they appear to sell a product that
they don't know much about.

So, it looks like it's going the hard way: Looking at the driver(s) that
get installed in the heap and try to figure out what they are doing. On the
other hand, I've successfully run my IIci at 115k2 as an ISDN-to-ethernet
gateway...

	hauke