Subject: pppd/chat problems with NetBSD1.4 on Quadra800
To: None <port-mac68k@netbsd.org>
From: Lasse =?iso-8859-1?Q?Hiller=F8e?= Petersen <lassehp@imv.au.dk>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 07/26/1999 10:00:46
Hello!

I have searched the list archive to no avail, so now I have subscribed and
apologize for starting with what is perhaps trivial.

I had a fine working setup of 1.3.2 with pppd/chat and NAT that I used to
connect from home to my dial-in server at work.

When 1.4 came out, I of course installed it, anticipating the improvements.

Well, 1.4 works fine on the machine, but my pppd setup hasn't been working
since. All I get is a "connection failed" message.

The modem is a Hayes Optima288 on tty00. My chat script starts with ATZ and
expects an OK, but it seems that chats output never reaches the modem
device.

Thinking this could be some problem with the device, I tried
cu -ltty00

using cu I can talk fine with the modem, so the problem must be somewhere else.
chat is r-xr-x-r-x and pppd is r-sr-xr-x, those permissions should be ok.

I have tried putting on every possible option for chat, but still, all I
get is the "connection failed".

Why can't chat talk to /dev/tty00? Surely, as noone has mentioned this, it
must be something trivial with my setup. I just can't see what.

A little more about my installation: the root/usr disk is 500 MB, and a
further 1 GB is mounted as /usr/local. I cleared the root/usr disk before I
installed 1.4, and I believe I was very careful in reconfiguring the whole
thing as I had it before.

chat script:
ECHO ON
ABORT BUSY
ABORT 'NO DIAL'
TIMEOUT 90 "" ATZ
SAY "Sending modem init string\n"
"" AT&FE0W1L1S7=75S0=0
"" ATDT99999999
TIMEOUT 90
CONNECT '\r\r\r'
serid:-\r-serid:-\r-serid: *****
sword? *******
LanRover>    ppp

Enlightenment will be received with gratitude!

-Lasse