Subject: Re: virtual consoles?
To: Michael G. Schabert <mikeride@prez.org>
From: Alex Zepeda <garbanzo@hooked.net>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 07/25/1999 17:57:16
On Sun, 25 Jul 1999, Michael G. Schabert wrote:

> pppd is included with NetBSD's working system, but I'm not sure which of
> the tarballs it comes with. The "ppp.tar.gz" that is available as per the
> FAQ isn't a program at all (it's just shell scripts), & doesn't affect your
> ability to use ppp. It just makes it a _HELLUVA_ lot easier, as it
> automates the process.

Sure, I know *pppd* is, but that's a kernel implementation of ppp. ppp
(formerly known as iij-ppp) provides a userland implementation via the
tunnel device (included with the GENERIC kernel); and it's oodles easier
to configure.  Took about twenty minutes or so to compile.

http://www.awfulhak.org (It's already included with the other free BSDs).

> >1.) Get the arrow keys working with vi (I'm afraid of what emacs will do
> >to this poor system :^)).
>
> Hmm, they've always worked via telnet for me...I haven't run directly on a
> 68k Mac in awhile, so I can't recall whether I had problems from console. I
> currently use my 68k Mac under MacOS using BetterTelnet, & they work (just
> make sure you're in command mode)

Well, vi isn't my preference, but arrow keys do work when I telnet into
some other host, the same holds for ^V and ^Y.  There's also some screen
update issues, but this *is* 1.4, I don't know what's been updated in
-CURRENT.  But I do love the tiny font on the console, totally saves on
the scrolling.

> >2.) For the life of me, I can't figure out how to switch or create virtual
> >consoles.  Is this even possible? or should I bite the bullet and install
> >X?  Or use a serial console?
> >
> >3.) Speaking of the console, is there any way to invert the color choice?
> >With all this white, I've found I can turn off the lights in my room and
> >still see everything :^)
>
> Both of these are easily solved by installing "dt".

Heh, the one place I forgot to look, thanks :^)

- alex

You better believe that marijuana can cause castration.  Just suppose your
girlfriend gets the munchies!