Subject: Re: virtual consoles?
To: None <port-mac68k@netbsd.org>
From: Michael G. Schabert <mikeride@prez.org>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 07/25/1999 20:19:45
>I've finally got NetBSD (1.4) up and running reasonably well (I sure wish
>that the userland ppp program was included with the base 'package').  But
>so far I've been unable to do three things:

pppd is included with NetBSD's working system, but I'm not sure which of
the tarballs it comes with. The "ppp.tar.gz" that is available as per the
FAQ isn't a program at all (it's just shell scripts), & doesn't affect your
ability to use ppp. It just makes it a _HELLUVA_ lot easier, as it
automates the process.

>1.) Get the arrow keys working with vi (I'm afraid of what emacs will do
>to this poor system :^)).

Hmm, they've always worked via telnet for me...I haven't run directly on a
68k Mac in awhile, so I can't recall whether I had problems from console. I
currently use my 68k Mac under MacOS using BetterTelnet, & they work (just
make sure you're in command mode)

>2.) For the life of me, I can't figure out how to switch or create virtual
>consoles.  Is this even possible? or should I bite the bullet and install
>X?  Or use a serial console?
>
>3.) Speaking of the console, is there any way to invert the color choice?
>With all this white, I've found I can turn off the lights in my room and
>still see everything :^)

Both of these are easily solved by installing "dt".

HTH
Mike
Bikers don't *DO* taglines.