Subject: Re: UUCP, df, wscons, vmstat, and a small-screen X summary
To: Larry Kollar <Larry.Kollar@arris-i.com>
From: Hauke Fath <hauke@Espresso.Rhein-Neckar.DE>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 07/24/1999 10:53:47
At 23:13 Uhr +0200 23.07.1999, Larry Kollar wrote:
>Curiousity overcomes inertia...
>
>I'm going to be pruning the hard drive over the weekend, and
>getting rid of UUCP is going to be the first target as I'll never
>use it. Then I got to wondering -- *are* there people who still
>use UUCP? I was thinking this would be a good candidate to move
>into an optional package, unless I'm ignorant of lots of little
>semi-private networks based on it, or some unconverted net.hinterlands,
>or both.

Sure. "Espresso.Rhein-Neckar.DE" is a uucp leaf node. Getting net news over
uucp is the only sensible option if you're sitting behind a small modem.
nntp is for the big pipes ;) and the uucp combo has been more reliable for
me than pppd/chat will ever be.

Even getting used SCSI disks < 500MB is hard today, not to speak of new
ones. I'd think disk space considerations are not that pressing. A IIsi's
default 40M drive is too small, though.

>I assume wscons didn't make it into mac68k/1.4? The digest archives
>seem to suggest that. Oh well, I found dt on my old Jaz-based
>install (with a thoroughly horked root partition) and it still works.

dt (current version 1.7?) is a package in the meanwhile.

>Last question -- I sometimes run Linux on my G3, and it has a nice
>utility called "free" that shows how much of your RAM & swap are
>being used. I found vmstat through apropos, but jeez it's obscure,
>especially in contrast to free. Is there a utility similar to free
>available?

What's wrong with top(1)?

>Finally, to summarize my previous questions about X11 on a small
>screen and beginner's docs. Looks like I'll be writing some kind
>of NetBSD for Newbies guide as I get a round tuit.

Great!

	hauke