Subject: UUCP, df, wscons, vmstat, and a small-screen X summary
To: None <port-mac68k@netbsd.org>
From: Larry Kollar <Larry.Kollar@arris-i.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 07/23/1999 17:13:03
Curiousity overcomes inertia...

I'm going to be pruning the hard drive over the weekend, and
getting rid of UUCP is going to be the first target as I'll never
use it. Then I got to wondering -- *are* there people who still
use UUCP? I was thinking this would be a good candidate to move
into an optional package, unless I'm ignorant of lots of little
semi-private networks based on it, or some unconverted net.hinterlands,
or both.

Of course, part of system pruning leads to doing a df to see where
one must concentrate. And behold, whatever bug we've had is still
in 1.4. Pesky thing. Any workarounds?

I assume wscons didn't make it into mac68k/1.4? The digest archives
seem to suggest that. Oh well, I found dt on my old Jaz-based
install (with a thoroughly horked root partition) and it still works.

Last question -- I sometimes run Linux on my G3, and it has a nice
utility called "free" that shows how much of your RAM & swap are
being used. I found vmstat through apropos, but jeez it's obscure,
especially in contrast to free. Is there a utility similar to free
available?

Finally, to summarize my previous questions about X11 on a small
screen and beginner's docs. Looks like I'll be writing some kind
of NetBSD for Newbies guide as I get a round tuit. As for the X11
stuff, lesstif/mwm got the most votes (including a nod from a
Classic II user) and fvwm-1.24 got a resounding endorsement for
its useability on mono screens. Thanks to all who responded!

CC is *not* necessary for replying this time; I'll be away from
this computer all weekend. I'll have a look at the digests come
Monday.

Thanks!

	Larry
	and "CurlyJoe" (SE/30 8/250, NetBSD 1.4)
. Looks like I'll be writing some kind > of NetBSD for Newbies guide as I get a round tuit. As for the X11 Excellent! :) > stuff, lesstif/mwm got the most votes (including a nod from a > Classic II user) and fvwm-1.24 got a resounding endorsement for > its useability on mono screens. Thanks to all who responded! > lesstif/mwm is probably only for the large of RAM and CPU :) David/absolute -=- and team B will be... Kenny. -=-