Subject: Re: pppd problems: LCP (long)
To: Christos Zoulas <christos@zoulas.com>
From: Frederick Bruckman <fb@enteract.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 07/23/1999 10:41:07
On Fri, 23 Jul 1999, Christos Zoulas wrote:

> In article <Pine.A41.4.10.9907230644180.78106-100000@aagaard02.u.washington.edu>,
> David Linker <dtlinker@u.washington.edu> wrote:
> >I turned on the debug option and sent the output to a file. Here is what I
> >got. I am unable to figure out what went wrong, so my apologies for
> >sending the entire output:
>
> I think that the remote machine wants to authenticate either with pap or
> chap and will refuse to connect without any authentication. Since you have
> not configured authentication on the local machine, the local pppd rejects
> pap/chap lcp requests...

Yes, I think so. David, all you need to do is construct a chap-secrets
file, format described in the pppd man page: at a minimum, one line

yourusername	*	yourpassword

Also, you may need "name yourusername" on the command line or in one
of the options files. The second "*" and the "noauth" option is needed
so that the terminal server doesn't need a password for your machine,
since it's unlikely to supply one. Permitting all callers to connect
is safe enough, unless you're running a dial-in server.