Subject: Re: _KERNEL cpp symbol in kernel source
To: None <thorpej@nas.nasa.gov>
From: Colin Wood <cwood@ichips.intel.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 07/22/1999 14:42:06
Jason Thorpe wrote:
> NetBSD/mac68k *should* be using sysinst, not some MacOS installer tool.

the only problem with this is that the primary install media for any
particular Mac user is going to be a local disk.  it's almost certain that
the filesystem on that disk will be HFS.  of course, the kernel doesn't
understand HFS, so that means we can't install off of that disk.  we
certainly can't guarantee that everyone will have either a cd-rom or an
easily setup network connection, so those options are basically out as
well...

i've thought about some kind of interim solution where we have the user
create an ms-dos partition that will later be converted into the swap
partition and install from there, but that makes things a little
complicated (i.e. you need a honkin' big swap partition or else you're
stuck installing 1 distribution set at a time).

some enterprising person with the wherewithal and some time on their hands
should probably look at apple's darwin code and see if there is enough HFS
support in there to use for netbsd.

native bootblocks would be quite cool, tho :-)

later.

colin