Subject: Re: _KERNEL cpp symbol in kernel source
To: None <nigel@ind.tansu.com.au>
From: Jason Thorpe <thorpej@nas.nasa.gov>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 07/22/1999 12:45:09
On Fri, 23 Jul 1999 05:17:24 +1000 (EST)
 nigel@ind.tansu.com.au wrote:

 > 	I also want UFS, and ext2fs, and maybe LFS in the future.
 > Having the booter do a mountroot() in exactly the same way as the
 > kernel does it will be best, since device names will match, et c.

No, they won't.  Usually, an boot program uses a much more naive
than how it's done in the kernel.

For a boot program, you really just want to use libsa.

 > 	Looking at the (lack of) speed of the current Installer, the
 > buffer cache is _exactly_ what we need!

Then you'll have to implement a complete buffer cache in your installer
tool, if that's what you want.  The file system doens't include any of
that.  It merely calls the buffer cache code to get a block.