Subject: Re: QuadraLink serial port card
To: Ryan Ordway <sammael@pacifier.com>
From: Bill Studenmund <wrstuden@nas.nasa.gov>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 07/21/1999 13:23:04
On Wed, 21 Jul 1999, Ryan Ordway wrote:

> At 12:52 PM -0700 7/21/99, Bill Studenmund wrote:
> >
> >What's the chip number?

Still need that. :-)

> >Also, would you be willing to loan out the/able to scrounge up another
> >card for development work?
>
> 	It's the only card that I have, but yes I would definetely be
> willing to loan it out to get it working with NetBSD.
>
> 	I've seen references to a driver for the card for A/UX lying around
> on various websites before, mainly newsgroup archives, but I've never found
> the actual drivers. I have the MacOS drivers though, but not any of the
> documentation. I've played with the card a little, but never used it
> extensively, since I don't have alot of serial devices, and all of my
> machines are already hooked up to my ethernet hub. But if this card really
> IS capable of DMA it'd be great for a small dialup server.

Either it's one of the 68000-based cards, in which case it'll be hard to
write a driver for, or it's one of the with-DMA 8530 clones, in which case
it shouldn't be too hard. Except for the fact the tty system hasn't been
morked on to support dma receive yet. :-(

> 	Speaking of DMA, might figuring out the DMA on the card's serial
> controllers help a little with getting serial DMA working on the Q9x0
> machines, once we totally figure out the IOP's?

I don't think so, unfortunatly. As I remember it, the IOP's don't do DMA,
they off-load the I/O. The difference is that the CPU writes a whole
buffer to the IOP, and then the IOP does its thing. Or the IOP says, "I
have data," and the CPU reads a whole block at a time. It's not DMA, but
it's much more efficient. :-)

> 	If you do want to borrow it for awhile just let me know. I can get
> some packaging and ship it out ASAP. Maybe by the time it's supported I'll
> be able to put it in my working Q900 system. :-)

Let's get these details first, and then Jason & I need to make some
changes to the 8530 driver. Then I think we'll be ready for this. ;-)

Take care,

Bill