Subject: RE: Small-screen X, beginner's docs
To: Frederick Bruckman <fb@enteract.com>
From: Hauke Fath <hauke@Espresso.Rhein-Neckar.DE>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 07/21/1999 20:43:45
At 15:29 Uhr +0200 21.07.1999, Frederick Bruckman wrote:
>On Wed, 21 Jul 1999, Steve Revilak wrote:
>> Larry Kollar wrote:
>>
>> / - Are there any X window managers that work well for small screens?
>> /   (Think SE/30 here.) I've used AfterStep on a 640x480 monitor and the
>> /   icon dock takes up 'way too much room....
>>
>> Lesstif might not be a bad choice.  My reasoning here is it's use of
>> virtual screens (borrowing from fvwm).

Not sure what you mean by "lesstif" here. Lesstif clones the Motif toolkit;
it comes with its own window manager, "mwm".

>The AfterStep-1.7.x pager is configurable; you can cut down the
>default number of 4 2x2 screens, or you could make 1 8x8 screen if you
>want. The old fvwm was pretty annoying the way it only jumped whole
>screens--

Huh? The example .fvwmrc that comes with fvwm 1.24 has key combinations to
move by full screen, by 1/10 screen and 1/100 screen. You can have 1/37
too, if you prefer. The example .fvwm is around 20k, enough to play with
for a rainy weekend.  ;)

In fact, AfterStep borrowed heavily from fvwm 2.

with afterstep you can move the viewport within the pager
>using button #3, although I confess I don't really do that often. You
>also get a broken mac-like window-shade (it presently screws with the
>foreground-background state of the windows). Even at 1024x768, some
>windows don't fit; I find moving the icon around in the pager
>(w/Button-2) is the easiest way to deal with those.

Larry was talking about an SE/30, wasn't he? 512x384 / 1 bit depth.

Seriously: with a machine like the SE/30, fvwm 1.24 is the way to go. You
want virtual screens with  512x384, and I haven't found a faster window
manager. olvwm might be an option, or wmx (enormous coolness factor), but
they're slower, and all the colour shades of afterstep & friends are lost
on a 1 bit screen.

	hauke