Subject: RE: Small-screen X, beginner's docs
To: Steve Revilak <revilak@umbsky.cc.umb.edu>
From: Frederick Bruckman <fb@enteract.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 07/21/1999 08:29:20
On Wed, 21 Jul 1999, Steve Revilak wrote:

> Larry Kollar wrote:
>
> / - Are there any X window managers that work well for small screens?
> /   (Think SE/30 here.) I've used AfterStep on a 640x480 monitor and the
> /   icon dock takes up 'way too much room....
>
> Lesstif might not be a bad choice.  My reasoning here is it's use of
> virtual screens (borrowing from fvwm).  One can place different windows
> in different screens then navigate around using a small omni-present
> "pager" -- as opposed to stacking everything one atop another.  I could
> see that being useful on an SE/30.

The AfterStep-1.7.x pager is configurable; you can cut down the
default number of 4 2x2 screens, or you could make 1 8x8 screen if you
want. The old fvwm was pretty annoying the way it only jumped whole
screens--with afterstep you can move the viewport within the pager
using button #3, although I confess I don't really do that often. You
also get a broken mac-like window-shade (it presently screws with the
foreground-background state of the windows). Even at 1024x768, some
windows don't fit; I find moving the icon around in the pager
(w/Button-2) is the easiest way to deal with those.

You don't have to run the doc, a.k.a Wharf: you can kill it from the
menu or change the autexec file to keep it from starting. It also
collapses into a single icon with a click from Button #3.

1.7.x is the development version. You need to apply the patches to
1.7.111 for it to work on NetBSD. I made a pkgsrc style package, but
I'm not going to submit it until things settle down. Work in progress
is at
<ftp://users/fb/NetBSD/pkgsrc/x11/afterstep-current-1.7.121.tar.gz>
or similar.