Subject: RE: Small-screen X, beginner's docs
To: None <Larry.Kollar@arris-i.com>
From: Steve Revilak <revilak@umbsky.cc.umb.edu>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 07/21/1999 11:29:57
Larry Kollar wrote:

/ - Are there any X window managers that work well for small screens?
/   (Think SE/30 here.) I've used AfterStep on a 640x480 monitor and the
/   icon dock takes up 'way too much room....

Lesstif might not be a bad choice.  My reasoning here is it's use of
virtual screens (borrowing from fvwm).  One can place different windows
in different screens then navigate around using a small omni-present
"pager" -- as opposed to stacking everything one atop another.  I could
see that being useful on an SE/30.

/ - Is there a "NetBSD for newbies" anywhere on the net? If not, I can
/   teach him what he needs to know, and I think he'll be motivated to
/   learn -- if his mom can't get past the login prompt, she can't snoop
/   his files. :-)

Giving mom a restricted login shell.... heh, heh :-)

Steve Revilak
revilak@umbsky.cc.umb.edu