Subject: Small-screen X, beginner's docs
To: None <port-mac68k@NetBSD.org>
From: Larry Kollar <Larry.Kollar@arris-i.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 07/21/1999 10:04:11
I'm baaaaack... well, actually, I've been lurking all along. But I
hadn't done much with NetBSD lately.

But now I have an SE/30 set up and I'm about halfway through installing
1.4 on it. There's a very good chance it's going to go to a nephew down
the road. So I have two questions:

 - Are there any X window managers that work well for small screens?
   (Think SE/30 here.) I've used AfterStep on a 640x480 monitor and the
   icon dock takes up 'way too much room....

 - Is there a "NetBSD for newbies" anywhere on the net? If not, I can
   teach him what he needs to know, and I think he'll be motivated to
   learn -- if his mom can't get past the login prompt, she can't snoop
   his files. :-)

I guess I need to update my install-howto for 1.4. BTW, the information
that the Installer prints is slightly out of order. "Make Devices" should
go first, then mount partitions, then fstab force.

Please cc any responses to me; I read the digest off routbort and it's
about two days behind.

	Larry