Subject: RE: help needed with heavy packages
To: None <lsp93@xs4all.nl>
From: Steve Revilak <revilak@umbsky.cc.umb.edu>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 07/19/1999 19:29:45
"T@W" <lsp93@xs4all.nl> writes:

/ >/ I've a slight problem with installing bigger pre-compiled binaries.
/ >/ Specially perl-5.00404 gives me a hat-ache.
/ >/ Small packages go smoothly but whenever i try a bigger package i get these
/ >/ "bogus/conflicting" messages, comes halfway in the attempt to overwrite
/ -snip-
/ >running out of disk space, are you?  -- do "df" to see what's
/ >available).
/
/ Enough diskspace (250Mbfree).
/ Try again.

Well, it was a thought...

/ >/2.so maybe i solve the problem by reinstalling the sets (not for the first
/ >/time)
---snip--
/Ofcourse! ;).
/In Q2. i am talking about the (src).sets, not packages.
/(for once and for all: i do read the manuals and the appropriate books/guides
/You should see the pile of papers)

I'm sorry.  I confused "sets" with the earlier question about
"precompiled-packages".   My bad....

Here's a roundabout idea for you....

I know there's a flag to tar (I believe -N, but don't have a manpage to
look at) that causes tar only to include files that are newer than the given
date.  Since anything that you've modified would have a date later than
whatever's in the sets, that should be a means for your to make a tarball
of just the things that you've changed.

Having that, you should be able to unpack the set in question, then
unpack the tarball with only the modified files on top of it.

Good luck.

Steve Revilak
revilak@umbsky.cc.umb.edu