Subject: RE: help needed with heavy packages
To: None <lsp93@xs4all.nl>
From: Steve Revilak <revilak@umbsky.cc.umb.edu>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 07/19/1999 11:56:36
"T@W" <lsp93@xs4all.nl> wrote:

/ I've a slight problem with installing bigger pre-compiled binaries.
/ Specially perl-5.00404 gives me a hat-ache.
/ Small packages go smoothly but whenever i try a bigger package i get these
/ "bogus/conflicting" messages, comes halfway in the attempt to overwrite
/ (not even yet existing files) and then grinds to a halt with a bus-error
/ and a core dump (ok it is a LC475 so i'm not surprised about the
/ *.core.What, i'm not even scared for them anymore).

FWIW, I've had no problem both installing perl-5.00404 as a precompiled
package and in compiling it from pkgsrc.  I'm running a FPU'd Q605,
which is essentially the same machine.  Just a thought, you're not
running out of disk space, are you?  -- do "df" to see what's
available).

/2.so maybe i solve the problem by reinstalling the sets (not for the first
/time)
/but then i wonder how to (over)install the most proper way without
/overwriting changed or added files and/or directories:
/a. with the installer?
/b.pax -zrvpe -f /path/to/setname.tgz

For pre-compiled packages?  Don't use pax or tar to install them.
Instead, to add packages, use (as root):

	pkg_add path-to-packagename.tgz

Not only does that take care of unpacking the tarball, but is also
places the components in pre-determined directories in /usr, checks for
package dependencies, and creates a "registration" of installs in a
subdirectory of /var.  Since each package knows what files it contains,
removal of packages (even partailly installed ones is nothing more than

	pkg_delete full-name-of-package

Or, did you do it that way in the first place?