Subject: help needed with heavy packages
To: None <port-mac68k@netbsd.org>
From: T@W <lsp93@xs4all.nl>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 07/19/1999 14:43:19
Hi all,
I've a slight problem with installing bigger pre-compiled binaries.
Specially perl-5.00404 gives me a hat-ache.
Small packages go smoothly but whenever i try a bigger package i get these
"bogus/conflicting" messages, comes halfway in the attempt to overwrite
(not even yet existing files) and then grinds to a halt with a bus-error
and a core dump (ok it is a LC475 so i'm not surprised about the
*.core.What, i'm not even scared for them anymore).

I have done 'unlimit datasize' and do clean-up the var/tmp in case of doubt,
changed even the permissions for the /usr/pkg/* to  root.wheel.
What am i missing?

2.so maybe i solve the problem by reinstalling the sets (not for the first
time)
but then i wonder how to (over)install the most proper way without
overwriting changed or added files and/or directories:
a. with the installer?
b.pax -zrvpe -f /path/to/setname.tgz

c1.cat setname.tgz | gunzip | (cd /; tar xvpf - )
and doing the same?!
c2.zcat setname.tgz | (cd /; tar xvpf - )

d.something else

TIA,
T@W

PS i had similar problems with 1.3.3 but after some trickery i got most right.
Now i can't remember the magic words which solved most problems,
but as far as i remember part of the trick was to search and delete.
I'm sure i'll solve it, but i don't want to go through all the hassle of
search&destroy again.