Subject: Re: was: mail is: starting imap-uw
To: Christopher Brown <chrsbrwn@mindspring.com>
From: Guy Santiglia <fredfl2@guy.chonju21.net>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 07/19/1999 18:43:07

> >   Are there any tricks to starting that imap-uw server daemon?
> > It built and installed no problem and made an entry for it in
> > my /etc/inetd.conf file, like this:
> >
> > imap  stream  tcp     nowait  root    /usr/pkg/libexec/imapd imapd
> >
> > I have the inetd daemon enabled in the rc.conf file.  What else do I have
> > to do, to get this thing running?  It's supposed to be plug and play,
> > but I'm having trouble pluging it in.
>
> inetd should start it automatically when a client connects requesting
> that service. One difference I note between your configuration and mine:
>
> imap2  stream  tcp     nowait  root    /usr/pkg/libexec/imapd   imapd
>
> Note the "imap2". Look in /etc/services for a mapping of symbolic names
> (imap2, pop3, etc) to port numbers (143, 110, etc).
>
> Once you make that change, you can test that the imap server is indeed
> running by doing a "telnet localhost 143" . You should receive the following:
>
> * OK localhost IMAP4rev1 v12.250 server ready
>
> To exit, type ". logout" (That's a period, a space, "logout" and return)
>
> Then test it by trying to connect to your server with a client. In your
> client's mail server preferences, set your server to be both the smtp
> and the imap client. Use your unix login name and password for login and
> password. You should see your inbox once it connects. Send email to
> yourself with your full email address and see if it shows up in your inbox.

  Thanks alot.  It was that imap2 not being there that was giving me the
problems.  It's kind of funny how a  little thing like that will get you.
I change it to imap4 in /etc/services and in inetd.conf just for the
hell of it and it still worked.

  Thanks for your help,

		Guy

Guy Santiglia  Quadra 610, 50 MHZ, NetBSD 1.4!
South Korea