Subject: Re: Backup scheme
To: None <port-mac68k@netbsd.org>
From: Hans-Christian Becker <hcb@phc.chalmers.se>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 07/19/1999 08:05:31
>> Adrian Sun's netatalk version seems to be broken on NetBSD-1.4, though,
>> so beware. I could comment slightly more on that if anyone is
>> interested...
OK, it seems some comment would be appreciate ;-)
Here is the story:
When NetBSD-i386-1.4BETA came out, I upgraded the aforementioned 486. As a
result, mounted netatalk volumes would sporadically unmount themselves with
a "The file server has unexpectedly closed the connection". Reverting to
NetBSD-i386-1.3.3 solved this. After I installed NetBSD-1.4 on my B&W G3, I
compiled the latest asun release (2.1.3, i believe). File sharing is of
little interest on the G3, but printing is, and it turned out that only
some of the Appletalk devices on the network were visible (with bin/nbplkup
=:=@*). I mailed Adrian Sun about this, and got the following response:
"NetBSD-1.4 exposed a bug in the netatalk code. This should be fixed in the
current version, found at ftp://ftp.u.washington.edu/public/asun/testing/ "
I tried the latest version (which seems upgraded quite a lot!), but no
change. I wrote back, and got this reply:
(My questions indented)
   (1) The problem with not all devices being listed with nbplkup =:=@* is
   still there.

hmm. it looks like multicasting is not getting set up properly. do you
know if the latest netbsd snapshots do the same thing as freebsd does
with regard to setting up multicasting?

   Jul 13 16:26:28 fkmac26 afpd[18993]: uam_load(uams_guest.so): failed to
   load.

hmm. am i correct that you did a make install? if that's the case,
change LDSHAREDFLAGS to -shared.

This is about as far as I got, being a non-programmer. Just for fun, I
#ifdef'd in the FreeBSD workaround in etc/atalkd/multicast.c, but that
broke atalkd even more...
Comments anyone?

hcb

---