Subject: Re: was: mail is: starting imap-uw
To: Christopher Brown <chrsbrwn@mindspring.com>
From: Alex Zepeda <garbanzo@hooked.net>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 07/18/1999 11:47:25
On Sun, 18 Jul 1999, Christopher Brown wrote:

> > I have the inetd daemon enabled in the rc.conf file.  What else do I have
> > to do, to get this thing running?  It's supposed to be plug and play,
> > but I'm having trouble pluging it in.
>
> inetd should start it automatically when a client connects requesting
> that service. One difference I note between your configuration and mine:

But you need to kill inetd with SIGHUP to get it to re-read its
configuration file (so it knows to load an imap daemon).

> Note the "imap2". Look in /etc/services for a mapping of symbolic names
> (imap2, pop3, etc) to port numbers (143, 110, etc).

Actually, if anything it *should* be labeled as imap4, but that's
splitting semantic hairs.

> Once you make that change, you can test that the imap server is indeed
> running by doing a "telnet localhost 143" . You should receive the following:
>
> * OK localhost IMAP4rev1 v12.250 server ready
>
> To exit, type ". logout" (That's a period, a space, "logout" and return)

- alex

You better believe that marijuana can cause castration.  Just suppose your
girlfriend gets the munchies!