Subject: Newbie question on packages/pico
To: port-mac68k <port-mac68k@netbsd.org>
From: David Linker <dtlinker@u.washington.edu>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 07/17/1999 16:44:30
Please excuse me if this is a FAQ, but I couldn't find it in the FAQ places.

I have just successfully installed NetBSD 1.4 on an SE/30, but do not yet
have either an ethernet card nor have I gotten ppp to function, so I have
no internet connection. I do have another mac running macOS hooked up to
the net, however, so I can download packages that way.

The packages I download all end in tgz, so I assumed that they are tar'd
and zipped, and that I could install them using the MacOS installer, just
like I did for the original install. This seems to work, but when I tried
to install and run pico, I get an error reporting a missing file, although
the the documentation says that it is not dependent on any other files.

Is is possible to install packages using the MacOS installer? Can they
function simply as ta'd files, and be untar'd?

Any other suggestions on getting pico running?

If these are FAQ's, I would appreciate a pointer in the right direction.

Thanks in advance.

David Linker