Subject: Re: Ghostscript, now remote printing troubles.
To: Bill Studenmund <wrstuden@nas.nasa.gov>
From: Matthew Reilly <mjreilly@flashcom.net>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 07/16/1999 13:25:44
Bill Studenmund wrote:

> On Thu, 15 Jul 1999, Matthew Reilly wrote:
>
> > OK I've got around my problems with my Stylus 740 not liking my Q700's
> > serial ports by getting an ethernet printserver that supports lpr. I've
>
> Just for the record, were you able to print from ZTerm and not from
> NetBSD? We should fix that.

That is correct, although I'm still not totally sure who's fault it was,
the machine's or mine. Once I got the print-server I kinda gave up. I'm
trying to remember if I got it to print out the raw postscript code late
one night or was that after I got the print-server? It's all a blur now.
When I get this working I'll hook the serial cable back up and take
another stab at it.

> Three ideas come to mind:
>
> 1) get more /var space so that the output file will fit and/or change
> limits so it's allowed.
>
> 2) Go digging into the lpd code, and find where it communicates with a
> remote printer queue. Rip that code out and beat on it so it will send out
> what it reads from stdin, rather than a spool file.
>
> 3) Assuming you can get individual pages out, use the ps utilities in
> pkgsrc to break your many-page document into single pages, and print them
> one job at a time.

Thanks for the suggestions Bill, it'll probably be numbers 1 or 3 seeing
as I'm not a coder (always wanted to learn though). What about LPRng?
I'm reading over the docs right now and it might help but it seems like
the effort in getting it configured might be equal to teaching myself to
code. On the LPRng pages they make brief mention of using netcat to send
the job files to the printer. I've built it from pkgsrc but I'm still
looking around for some docs for it. The firewall at work blocks the
l0pht site so I'll have to wait until I get home.

cheers,

Matthew