Subject: Q900 report and questions
To: port-mac68k <port-mac68k@netbsd.org>
From: Ryan Ordway <sammael@pacifier.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 07/16/1999 09:40:21
	I finally got my Q900 back this weekend to do some testing on it,
and ran into quite a few problems. I installed the most recent snapshot I
had on hand, from 06061999 (since I couldn't reach ftp.netbsd.org either),
and a kernel I had compiled for it from sources sup'ed July 14th and it
came nowhere NEAR booting. :-(

	Running the GENERIC 06061999 kernel booted just fine, and the
machine recognized even the QuadraLink serial port card (though didn't make
use of it obviously) and my unsupported video card and made it to the
single user prompt for a shell (and pushing the interrupt switch about 15
minutes later sent it into the debugger, so presumably it would have ran
fine had I been able to use the keyboard)

	I did have some problems compiling the kernel, gcc complained of
quite a few variables possibly being used uninitialized. To get through the
compile I set them to zero in the declarations, though I'm not sure the
effect that would have on usability. Unfortunately I didn't keep track of
which variables where, though I remember one was in the umapfs code, and
another in the IP code.

	Anyways, the newest kernel froze up just after the Copyright info
was displayed, before it would have printed the kernel version, etc.
Relevant bits are:

SCC IOP base: 0x8f3000
ISM IOP base: 0x905000
OLD cs0: 0x82
OLD cs1: 0x86
OLD cs2: 0x7 (i = 1)

Then the [ blah blah] and Copyright stuff, then freeze.

	The 06061999 kernel reported my ADB as:

adb0 at obio (direct, IIsi series): 0 targets
aed0 at adb0 addr0: ADB Event device

	And my QuadraLink as:

nubus0 at mainbus0
nubus0 slot a: QuadraLink (Vendor: ???, Part: ???) Type: 0006 0006 0102
0100 not configured

	And my video card, which is a huge NuBus card for my 17" Sigma
Designs Multi-Resolution monochrome monitor:

macvid0 at nubus0 slot b: Sigma Designs L-View
macvid0: Unknown video card ID 0x278 -- Not installing interrupt routine
macvid0: 1024 x 768, monochrome

and continued on happily to the single user prompt for a shell.

	Also, the video card comes with a control panel in MacOS that
handles the resolution switching, plus has a control for pop-up menus, a
screen saver, definable hot keys, etc. It talks about resolution in dpi.
The 1024 x 768 was 72 dpi I think. The machine would before the white
screen would even come up if I booted in 60 dpi. But it handled 72 and 90
dpi just fine. There is one more larger setting (52 dpi I think) and 2 more
smaller settings that I have not yet tried...

	Anyways, my questions are:

	1) I heard someone mention they were working on a driver for the
QuadraLink card... any more news on that? Mine is a 4 port card... I an
check chip types if necessary. I got the card in an old Mac IIcx I bought a
year or two ago, but I have the MacOS drivers it came with. Unfortunately I
don't have any of the documentation... If anyone would like more info on it
let me know and I'll see what I can do.

	2) Any more progress on the IOP code? I've not supped again since
the 14th. The kernel I tried was a HWDIRECT... should I try a MRG as well?

	3) Anybody have a little time to help me get this video card
supported? I know enough 68k assembly to be dangerous to my machine's
health, and have played with Macsbug a bit, but I'm sure I'd be lost
without a little guidance. In the meantime I'll re-read the docs on the
subject on macbsd.com...

	4) Has anyone else had problems compiling kernels? I compiled 2
different kernels with different options and both came up with warnings
about variables possibly being used without being initialized in various
different places. These are from freshly supped sources over the last week
or two. I've tried a couple times and I've never gotten a totally clean
compile...

	Thanks,

	Ryan
--
HELO... my name is rewt... you have SIGKILLed my father... prepare to vi!