Subject: Re: Serial speed.
To: Matthew Reilly <mjreilly@flashcom.net>
From: Bill Studenmund <wrstuden@nas.nasa.gov>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 07/12/1999 10:17:44
On Mon, 12 Jul 1999, Matthew Reilly wrote:

> Bill Studenmund wrote:
>
> Does this mean I won't have any luck getting the port to work at this
> speed with the printer? stty reports that the speed is 230400 when it's

Not necessarily. Just that you can't set the baud rate by default from the
booter. As the rate's right in lpd, you're fine.

Note: these defaults partially default from a time when lpd didn't
support rates above 38400...

> printing but it's still printing garbage. I've been playing around with
> the printcap file trying to make it happy but I've had no luck yet. In
> fact, when I set up the printer to use dtr&cts (which the manual says it
> supports) the computer freezes at boot right after lpd starts up. Oh
> well, I was thinking about buying a little printer server that connects
> to the printer's parallel port and supports lpr.

The lpd-via-net thing would probably be faster.

To figure out what you're seeing, you'd need a serial break out box. lpd
waiting for dtr & cts shouldn't freeze the computer. Are you sure that's
what the setting did?

Take care,

Bill