Subject: Re: NONE
To: Keith Fischer <kfischer@poisonlab.com>
From: David A. Gatwood <dgatwood@mvista.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 07/12/1999 10:12:44
On Mon, 12 Jul 1999, Keith Fischer wrote:

> Anyone else have ip-nat running on a cable modem?  Just curious as to
> what ttype of speed I should be expecting.  Right now I can get a Win95
> client to connect to a web site but it takes forever and a day to load a
>  page.  I can't tell if it is the Win client config or the Quadra 700
> NetBSD 1.4 bogging down.  Seems like packets just take their sweet time
> to get over to the Win95 side.

Sounds like a DNS problem, if I had to guess.  Are you running named on
the gateway?  Also, gated or routed would be a good idea.  Beyond that, no
ideas.  I've only used IP-NAT a few times, and that was two PPP links, but
when I did, it was fairly comparable to having the NATted machine directly
on the modem.  YMMV.

> lookup bind file

I'd strongly sugget reversing that to look up via files first, unless your
local network nameserver actually has all the local DNS stuff _and_
caching for the rest of the world.  Even then, files should be given
higher priority than bind so that they can be used to put in hosts that
aren't in the nameserver or whose DNS entries are wrong or... just
convenient.

Beyond that, no idea.

David