Subject: Re: Serial speed.
To: Matthew Reilly <mjreilly@flashcom.net>
From: Frederick Bruckman <fb@enteract.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 07/12/1999 12:56:56
On Mon, 12 Jul 1999, Matthew Reilly wrote:

> Bill Studenmund wrote:
> > To figure out what you're seeing, you'd need a serial break out box. lpd
> > waiting for dtr & cts shouldn't freeze the computer. Are you sure that's
> > what the setting did?
>
> No, I'm not sure. But I think it is some change I made to the printcap
> file. If I comment out the one printer I have in printcap it starts up
> fine and then complains that there is no lp when PAP starts up. It drove
> me nuts for a while because the console would print out the message that
> it's starting lp and then print out "starting local deamons:" so I
> thought it was something in my rc.local (only atalkd & sshd) but even
> when I commented out rc.local from the rc file it still froze after lpd
> started up.

It's probably not really frozen. You're not going to be allowed to log
in until the rc script finishes, so it could simply be that papd, or
something else, is hanging up rc. A SIGQUIT (Ctrl-\) will put you back
to a single-user shell. It's probably a good idea to start and stop
the daemons from root's shell until you get it right. That will be
less time consuming than rebooting, at least.