Subject: Re: Comparison - Opinions please
To: Denny <rdhender@iupui.edu>
From: None <mcmahill@mtl.mit.edu>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 07/09/1999 23:29:56
I can't really comment  on A/UX, but these are some questions I'd have
if I were shopping for a new OS.  I've included some answers to these
questions for NetBSD based on my experience with it.

is A/UX at all supported?

I've had a consistently high level of support over the last several years
from users and developers of NetBSD

Is there any new development on it?

NetBSD developement is ongoing with bugs being fixed, new features added,
support for new hardware.  Its no fun to be using an older OS and then
find some key piece of hardware isn't supported and you have to switch
OS's because developement has stopped.

You ask about compiling stuff for A/UX.  NetBSD has the package system
(pick the "software" link from www.netbsd.org) which makes building and
installing 3rd party software a snap even for non-programmers.  In fact
there are a ton  (571 I think) of precompiled 3rd party programs available
for NetBSD.

What other computers might you use?  I have a couple of different machines
(a mac, a sun, and a dec) and its really, really nice that they all run
the same OS.  I learn how to do something on one and immediately can to it
on all.  Its nice to know that if I ever have a little extra cash I can
move to a really fast pentium machine or an alpha and still use the same
OS (no new learning curves).

Anyway, I don't claim to know how A/UX stacks up in these areas.  I am,
however, very happy with my choice of NetBSD as my primary OS.

Hope this helps some.

-Dan