Subject: pkgsrc -- cool!
From: Steve Revilak <revilak@umbsky.cc.umb.edu>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 07/08/1999 22:59:09
In the past, I've always added programs by using the pre-compiled
packages, or just building straight from the maintainers sources.
Today, I took my first crack at building from pkgsrc.

*Very* impressive!  Whomever designed the system/wrote the Makefiles,
etc deserves a heck of a lot of credit and gratitude! ("make fetch-list"
and "make test" are some pretty thoughtful features).

(Bonk head -- using BSD for a year and a half -- why didn't you ever
do this before?)

With a 1.4 kernel, I built and installed perl-5.00404.  Very much a
perl neophyte, but it appears to be working.

I also noted that "make package" is one of the available targets.
Again, a *really* good idea.

There aren't any 1.4 binary packages for mac68k on the netbsd ftp
site.  I'd like to offer the perl packages I built.  However, although
the docs give a detailed set of instructions on creating packages from
scratch, they're a little sketchy when it comes to submission of
binaries built this way (sect 2.3.3 of "Packages.txt" makes a cross
reference to another section containing a footnote to "add more info
here".

What's the recommended verification for such a build (make test?) and
where can I upload?

Thanks much!

Steve Revilak
revilak@umbsky.cc.umb.edu