Subject: Re: Another ncrscsi victim...
To: Chas Williams <chas@cmf.nrl.navy.mil>
From: Hauke Fath <hauke@Espresso.Rhein-Neckar.DE>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 07/08/1999 22:37:38
At 15:47 Uhr +0200 08.07.1999, Chas Williams wrote:
>>This DDRS tends to spin down every now and then "out of the blue".
>>Sometimes I see comments in the syslog, sometimes the machine simply hangs.
>>I cannot tell whether the drive first spins down and up again or whether
>>some rude action from the driver forces the drive into a cold reset.
>
>well... you are not crazy, i have seen this too with some similar ibm drivers
>(some older 1G and 2G models, i forget the model numbers but they were
>definitely ibm)

The DCAS when used 24/7 is known to spin down once a week for maintenance
porposes - it is not a server disk. The DDRS is.

>i really dont suspect the problem is with the ncrscsi
>driver (since i am using a q800/q840/q950, and macos running on a 7100)
>
>i am almost positive this problem is heat related:

I checked that and the drive had hardly more than 35 C. You could well
touch it. I suspected a flaky power supply, too, but trying out other cases
made no difference.

>i wonder if the ibm drives have some sort of temp sensor onboard?

ISTR that the drives spin down and up again as a last resort in case of a
fatal error.

The first day with the sbc driver gave no syslog entries, btw.

	hauke