Subject: Re: netBSD problems
To: None <ender@macbsd.com>
From: Frederick Bruckman <fb@enteract.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 07/08/1999 00:19:35
On Wed, 7 Jul 1999, Colin Wood wrote:

> Tallinu wrote:
> > 1: save core. using savecore as default, or savecore -c, reports:
> >
> > checking for core dump...
> > save core: /netbsd: kvm_dump_mkheader pread: invalid argument
>
> cool....someone else is getting this.  no matter what i do, i always get
> this on my q840av.  is anybody seeing this on a non-AV mac?  better yet,
> is anyone with an AV mac _not_ seeing this on 1.4 or later kernels with a
> synched-up userland?

I don't recall ever seeing that message on my q840av, 1.3* or 1.4.
Furthermore, with "savecore=YES" in /etc/rc.conf, I have successfully
gotten coredumps in the past. No crashes lately, thankfully.

It looks like "dumplo", the start of dump pointer, is not being
properly initialized, probably because there isn't really a valid dump
on that partiton. In that case, savecore shouldn't even get that far.

Maybe your both your machines crashed at some point, started to write
the dump header, but then crashed again before completing the dump.
If that's the case, "savecore -c" should clear the error.