Subject: Re: newfs gotcha, was can a partition be expanded?
To: John Valdes <j-valdes@uchicago.edu>
From: Bill Studenmund <wrstuden@nas.nasa.gov>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 07/08/1999 14:20:55
On Thu, 8 Jul 1999, John Valdes wrote:

> Out of curiosity, what, if any, are the (user-visible) differences
> between the 4.3BSD ffs (newfs -O) and the 4.4BSD ffs?  Eg, maximum
> file/filesystem size, better performance, etc.

I'm not entirely sure. Part of it is that dev_t is now 32-bits. Also uid &
gid are 32-bit as well. I think symlink handling is a little different,
and the directory entries are changed too. The new ffs also supports
white-outs, which are needed for unionfs to work.

> Also, other than with partitions used with Mkfs/Install/Booter, are
> there any problems using the log filesystem (LFS) on NetBSD/mac68k?

I'm not aware of mac68k-specific lfs problems. But the LFS code is still
under development. The one in -current works pretty well, but you don't
want to get it over about 75% full. There were a lot of lfs-related
changes in 1.4.1, so I think it's better. :-)

Take care,

Bill