Subject: RE: netBSD problems
To: None <tallinu@ctaz.com>
From: Steve Revilak <revilak@umbsky.cc.umb.edu>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 07/08/1999 09:37:10
Tallinu <tallinu@ctaz.com> writes:

/ 4: even though I have a hostname in /etc/myname, I get the following
/ when making newaliases (and also get an error from send mail about
/ getbyaddr (something like that) failed...

What are you giving as hostname?  The rc.conf line asking for it
requests a fullly qualified one (in your case, I presume it's not that
-- hence reading from /etc/myname)

If you give a single machine name in this field (eg "oatmeal"), sendmail
will complain.  Changing it to "oatmeal.my_house.net" will stop it.

Here's the part of the puzzle I'm not sure about....

This is something that's puzzled me -- what is the proper way to qualify
a machines name if it's not a legitimate registered domain.

If you're doing resolutions to some other nameserver (eg -- an ISPs) it
doesn't seem like it would matter -- your "bogus" qualification
shouldn't exist.

But, running a nameswerver locally (probably impractical on a dial up
line, because when the connection was down named would still try to
contact root servers for names not listed in it's cache) -- would the
"bogus qualification" inhibit the lookup of a "real" domain that had the
same name?

Just a question...