Subject: Re: netBSD problems
To: Tallinu <tallinu@ctaz.com>
From: Colin Wood <cwood@ichips.intel.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 07/07/1999 20:46:41
Tallinu wrote:
> Hello everyone,
>
> Hopefully someone will be able to make some suggustions for
> some of the problems mentioned below:
>
> using Quadra 660av, netBSD 1.4, GENERIC kernal, 68mb ram, and 2 hard disks.
>
> 1: save core. using savecore as default, or savecore -c, reports:
>
> checking for core dump...
> save core: /netbsd: kvm_dump_mkheader pread: invalid argument

cool....someone else is getting this.  no matter what i do, i always get
this on my q840av.  is anybody seeing this on a non-AV mac?  better yet,
is anyone with an AV mac _not_ seeing this on 1.4 or later kernels with a
synched-up userland?

> 2: request settings for syslog.conf and xconsole to not get duplicate system messages, and system message on the background of X, dt, and all winodws (right now I routed the console, *, and root to log file to stop the problem)

for syslog.conf, i think you just need to get rid of the line that sends
things directly to the console.  actually, i think you just need to bump
the priority of messages that get sent.  the default is a little low (like
info or something).  as for xconsole, there are no settings, just run it,
and it should capture console messages.  if it's not, make sure that you
have options UCONSOLE in your kernel config (i believe that GENERIC does
this by default).

> 3: when using PPP and connected, mostly using FTP, get the following:
>
> zstty0: x silooverruns y, buffer overflows ( you can put different numbers in x and y if you want)

ummm...run your PPP connections a little bit slower or stop ftp'ing :-P

i get the same thing running at 45kbps or higher.  i don't remember seeing
quite so many at 28.8kbps.

> 4: even though I have a hostname in /etc/myname, I get the following when making newaliases (and also get an error from send mail about getbyaddr (something like that) failed...
>
> warning: local host name (my name here) is not qualified
> fix $j in config file
>
> sendmail: gethostbyaddr(207.173.246.79) failed 11

you probably need a FQDN (fully qualified domain name) in your
sendmail.conf.  look in that file for the definition of the J variable and
fix it :-)

> Also I had a weird problem with the booter reporting the header or magic numbers were bad on the kernal, though a full reboot solved the problem (did a reinstall the first 2 times, but was coupled with other problems). This could be a driver or other pr
oblem..not sure, any one else had this problem?

nope, sounds transient to me.  if it recurs, you might want to make sure
that your kernel isn't corrupted...

i hope this helps some.

later.

colin