Subject: Re: Serial speed.
To: David A. Gatwood <dgatwood@mvista.com>
From: Frederick Bruckman <fb@enteract.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 07/07/1999 21:08:15
On Wed, 7 Jul 1999, David A. Gatwood wrote:

> On Wed, 7 Jul 1999, Matthew Reilly wrote:
>
> > I tried that. It didn't seem to like 57600, in fact, the only speed it
> > seems to like is 230400. The thing is, I know it prints from the MacOS
> > side on the quadra and I'm pretty sure this machine doesn't support
> > 230400. Any ideas? Anyone?
>
> IIRC, most macs, even the early ones, _will_ do 230400 on the printer port
> _only_ if they are driven by an external clock signal.  Only machines with
> newer serial hardware can do 230400 without an external clock source
> (including the AV Quadras and I think all PowerMacs).

And not very well, either. With the patched kernel on an 840AV, 230400
drops characters, but 115200 works, and better than it does from
MacOS, actually.

IIRC my original Stylus Pro was able to autobaud at 9600, even though
it's rated for 57600. It only autobauds when you first apply power.
Lotsa luck.