Subject: netBSD problems
To: None <port-mac68k@netbsd.org>
From: Tallinu <tallinu@ctaz.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 07/07/1999 18:27:31
Hello everyone,

Hopefully someone will be able to make some suggustions for
some of the problems mentioned below:

using Quadra 660av, netBSD 1.4, GENERIC kernal, 68mb ram, and 2 hard disks.

1: save core. using savecore as default, or savecore -c, reports:

checking for core dump...
save core: /netbsd: kvm_dump_mkheader pread: invalid argument

2: request settings for syslog.conf and xconsole to not get duplicate system messages, and system message on the background of X, dt, and all winodws (right now I routed the console, *, and root to log file to stop the problem)

3: when using PPP and connected, mostly using FTP, get the following:

zstty0: x silooverruns y, buffer overflows ( you can put different numbers in x and y if you want)

4: even though I have a hostname in /etc/myname, I get the following when making newaliases (and also get an error from send mail about getbyaddr (something like that) failed...

warning: local host name (my name here) is not qualified
fix $j in config file

sendmail: gethostbyaddr(207.173.246.79) failed 11

Also I've installed on a large 4.55gb IBM drive (which was a good buy at about 220.00 recently), and modified a SCSI external interface and drive. So if any one has related questions, please let me know, and I'll be happy to provide suggustions in the problems I overcame with certain programs.

Also I had a weird problem with the booter reporting the header or magic numbers were bad on the kernal, though a full reboot solved the problem (did a reinstall the first 2 times, but was coupled with other problems). This could be a driver or other problem..not sure, any one else had this problem?

Thanks,

Jack Charles Swan