Subject: re: X Oddities
To: None <PORT-MAC68K@NETBSD.ORG>
From: Steve Revilak <revilak@umbsky.cc.umb.edu>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 07/07/1999 11:08:55
Colin Wood <cwood@ichips.intel.com> writes:

/ Steve Revilak wrote:
/ > hung, I can jump into the debugger.  The stack trace is pretty
/ > consistent:
/
/ well, whatever made the select() call is waiting for something to occur
/ and never gets it
/
/ > A typical process list.  Nothing that strikes me as terribly unusual:
/ >
/ > 	Xmac68k
/ > 	xinit
/ > 	sh
/
/ one of these three is probably the one that's hung...does the ps listing
/ give a wait channel (wchan)?  if so, what are the channels these are
/ waiting on?  this will give you some clue as to where exactly in the code
/ the process is waiting...
/

The states of Xmac68k and xinit were "select" and sh was "wait".
(Thinking sh is the "startx" script).

As it turned out, the checksum for the xserver package I had orginally
downloaded *didn't* match the sums listed on the FTP site.  Don't
remember which mirror I got it from -- something appears to have
hiccupped somewhere in the chain.

Replacing the server (and xbase for good measure) seems to have fixed
the hanging problems.  Mouse tracking phenemenon is still there, but I
can definitely live with that.

Thanks much!

Steve Revilak
revilak@umbsky.cc.umb.edu