Subject: Re: kernel, printer, floppy
To: Riccardo Mottola <rmottola@spm.it>
From: Colin Wood <cwood@ichips.intel.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 07/06/1999 10:50:38
Riccardo Mottola wrote:
> Hello to all.
>
> big mess happened.. i had to swap motherboard of my Mac][, because i broke
> it accidentally trying some damned RAM simms. and i had to fix my
> scsi-chain. now all is done, i hope

ouch :-(

> with the fixed chain, i still noticed the following: the NCR-krenel works
> bad and doesn't let me start X (various errors, core dumps....) while the
> SBC kernel works (so the panics where due to my bad scsi chain as it seems,
> they happened under heavy load of SCSi. now i can run X and even start the
> SETI client with 8 megs... continuous swap but it seems to work)
>
> but i know my mac][ has a NCR-type controller. while i was swapping my
> upgrades (PMMU, ram, SWIM, 4 roms chips) i controlled: it is a NCR... so
> why does only the SBC works decently?

ummm...the 'sbc' driver is backend to the machine-independent ncr5380
driver that is also used by a couple of other ports.  the ncrscsi driver
is the original (and machine-dependent) ncr5380 driver used by the mac68k
port.  in this case, SBC stands for SCSI bus controller, i think.

> now to the printer...
>
> how can i use a printer attached to the printer port?
> i thought of redirecting >/dev/sd0a but it gives me permission denied

well, to start with, /dev/sd0a is the root partition of your
lowest-numbered SCSI drive, _not_ your serial port....that's usually
/dev/tty01 (tty00 is usually the modem port).

> once i can at least cat to it, how do i configure LPR? i mean what config
> should i put in and in which file....

what kind of printer is it?  the setup can vary from printer to printer.
btw, if you read frederick bruckman's last post (which i just got about 10
minutes ago), he mentions some of the setup necessary for many printers.

> and now to the floppy....
> do i have to build special devices? how?
>
> /dev/rfd0a and similar (/dev/fd0) say device isn't there....
>
> so "Mac oriented" suggestions on how to use the floppy would be great.

what version of the kernel are you using?  does a 'dmesg' indicate that
the iwm driver attached successfully?  if so, you should be able to mount
a floppy on /dev/fd0 just fine...

later.

colin