Subject: X Oddities -- continued
To: None <PORT-MAC68K@NETBSD.ORG>
From: Steve Revilak <revilak@umbsky.cc.umb.edu>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 07/06/1999 09:34:02
A few days Ago I reported some oddities with X windows under NetBSD 1.4,
adn a few crashes using the MRG-6 and GENERIC-6 kernels.

Unfortunately, I haven't been able to duplicate the "startx and crash
immediately" problem, then again, since my libraries are too old for
this kernel I'm not sure how worthwhile this would be.

However, I am seeing a "startx and hang forever" problem.... and it's
not confined to the July 1 kernels --> it also happens with the 1.4
GENERIC one as well.

"startx" never makes it to the "screen 640 x 480...." line.  While it's
hung, I can jump into the debugger.  The stack trace is pretty
consistent:

	_debugger(13940e, 37c2, 83ae04,358a,0 ) +6
	_nmi_hand(0,fffffffe,0,0,1) + 26
	_lev7intr(?)
        _mi_switch(0,2004,4,8,167) + 12
	_tsleep(16f8dc,118,35548,167) + 162
	_sys_select(7e918,83af88,83af80) +27e
	_syscall(5d) +14c
	_trap0() +e

(you can see where I hit the interrupt switch).

A typical process list.  Nothing that strikes me as terribly unusual:

	Xmac68k
	xinit
	sh
	tcsh
	inetd
	sendmail
	cron
	update
	portmap
	syslogd
	reaper
	pagedaemon
	init
	swapper

Once in the debugger, I can SIGKILL the top three (the server, xinit,
and sh), and in most cases, recover.

At which point, I'm thinking "hmmm". Since it's the case where I'm
seeing oddities that no one else is...I'm starting to think it might not
be a bad idea to to download fresh copies of the Xmac68k and xbase and
reinstall them.  This time, I'll check the checksums.....

Any ideas?  Thanks!

Steve Revilak
revilak@umbsky.cc.umb.edu