Subject: RE: .login .profile .cshrc
To: None <fredfl2@guy.chonju21.net>
From: Steve Revilak <revilak@umbsky.cc.umb.edu>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 07/05/1999 15:27:31
Guy Wrote:

/Now I had a hell of a time getting this to work.  First I tried just
/like they said and put this into .login in root's home directory. (I'm
/using tcsh)  That wasn't  setting the variables when I logged on.  Then
/I tried putting those lines in  .xsession because I'm running xdm.

Were you logging in as root?

/Did I do the right thing by putting the path setting script lines in the
/.cshrc file in /root?  Should I have just put them in /etc/csh.chsrc?
/
/  Why did .login seem to have no effect on setting those path variables?

The big difference between .login and .cshrc is that .login in only
evaluated once -- when you log on, and .cshrc is evaluated every time
you execute a subshell.  Just to see what's going on put the line

	echo "bottom of login"

at the bottom of .login the line

	echo "bottom of cshrc"

at the bottom of your .cshrc.

Then login, startx, open a new window, open another new window, open
another new window, etc.  You'll see the line from .cshrc printed each
time.

I'm not familiar with koffice, but my guess is that it needs to see that
expression evaluated each time a subshell is spawned.

I'm not sure /etc/csh.cshrc would be evaluated each time a user started
a subshell....

Sorry I can't give you a better answer...

Steve Revilak
revilak@umbsky.cc.umb.edu